Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The goose egg...

I was heading with Catherine to go do child-care for the leaders meeting at BSF (Bible Study Fellowship...go look it up online...this is our 2nd study and they are awesome) yesterday morning.  Anyway, just as I was about to get to the road that the church is located on, I got a phone call from the school.  Christopher had gotten hurt and had a pretty good sized knot on the back of his head and she felt like he needed to come home and be watched at home.  I had my father-in-law come to the house to stay with Catherine while I went and picked up Christopher at school.  The knot was pretty large and he said that he felt dazed and like he was going to pass out.  The school nurse felt like I'd be ok just watching it at home, but he's my child that never acts sick until something happens and so I just felt safer taking him to get checked out.

We headed to the hospital and the nurse practitioner checked him out.  She said that they don't do CT scans anymore on children unless it's absolutely necessary and since he appeared to be doing ok, she just wanted me to have him rest and stay low-key for the next 7-10 days so he avoided another injury and we'd just treat him as if he had a concussion to be on the safe side.  He is my active child and so I knew that was going to be the challenge.  She didn't want him running or jumping or in any sort of P.E. or recess.  That's laughable as he has sensory processing disorder and is desperately seeking input, but I realize that they don't know him either.  All we can do is our best to keep him occupied and somewhat sedentary.  She left to get his discharge insructions together and he figured out that he was getting attention for acting crazy from the nurses and so he decided to do it all the more.  Nevermind, we had someone next to us in a pretty good amount of pain.  The more I asked him to calm down, the more amped up he'd get.  I was so embarrassed and ready to get out of there.

 He came home and we iced his head as much as possible and tried to redirect him when he was getting too active to things that he could do that were somewhat more low key.  I finally decided to give him a massage with essential oils to try and get him to calm down somewhat and it was semi-successful.  I used some Deep Blue essential oil with his massage as that one goes after inflammation.  I was hoping it would reduce the size of his goose egg.  This morning, it had gone down quite significantly and he said that it was feeling a little better.  I'm going to reapply it tonight I think before he goes to bed.  We have to follow-up with the pediatrician on Friday for him to determine when he can go back to P.E. and recess.




No comments:

Post a Comment