Saturday, May 3, 2014

A behavior blip and a flute,,,

I had to take Christopher to the doctor today to get his goose egg rechecked.  He got released to go back to P.E. and recess, but she didn't want him doing any climbing or dodge ball or anything like that where he had the potential to fall or get hit in the head and reinjure himself.  We proceeded after the appointment to go to Wal-mart.  He was being really good, until we got to the checkout line.  He wanted a huge sucker and since he just had one at the doctor's office, I said he couldn't have one.  He immediately started getting angry and making growling noises and heavy sighs.  He tried running off on me once and I got him and brought him back.  I was praying that he wasn't going to knock the candy rack over as he had that look in his eyes and I was praying that we'd get through the line super fast to avoid a scene.  A friend found us and I told her that he was mad as she tried to talk to him.  We had ran into her a couple of times that day around town.  We were in the express lane and she had more groceries than that, so she went in another lane to check out.  I made it through the checkout process and we went out to the car.  I had him by the hand as I didn't want him to run off on me and he kept yanking on me and almost pulled me over.  We got in the van and he proceeded to yell at me as loud as he could and chucked a booster seat at me.  He refused to get his seatbelt on, so I had to crawl back there and get him in.  Started driving home and he told me how I was the rudest mother ever and how Catherine gets anything that she wants.  I told him that is not true, but he already had a sucker for the day, he didn't need another one.  I don't like giving them a bunch of candy as it makes them extra hyper and they already have a lot of energy with their ADHD.  He proceeded to tell me that he hated being in this family and how I was rude.  He grabbed yet another booster seat and launched it my way.  I told him that's not a safe thing to do when we're driving down the road.  I told him when we got home he was going up to his room and that would get him away from the family and give him a chance to cool down.

After about 30 minutes of being in his room, I went up to talk to him.  I told him that none of my children get whatever they want and that I love him, but he can't always get everything that he wants when he wants it.  I asked him if rude moms took their birthday boys to Medieval Times for their birthdays, or brought them all over trying to get them help, and advocated for them at school or bent over backwards for their kids.  He shook his head no and said that he was just really mad.  I told him that I understood that and then we had a talk about acceptable things to do when we are angry that don't include throwing things at people (especially when driving) and stuff like that.  We gave hugs and we went downstairs to eat lunch.  The rest of the day went fine thankfully.

The girls came home after school and Grace had been on a field trip.  She came in with a wooden flute and proceeded to tell me that since she didn't bring any money and really wanted a flute another person's mom that was in her group, bought it for her.  Joy immediate said "don't you think that if you knew that you were going to the gift shop, you could have asked Mom for some of your allowance money to bring?"  I was glad that Joy realized that we don't need to ask others for things that we want.  I talked with Grace a little bit about how even if she didn't have the money and she wanted something that it was wrong of her to ask another parent for the money to buy it.  It's one thing if a parent offers to buy all the kids in her group something, but that should be a parents decision...I told her I thought it was rude of her to ask.  She's always had issues when it comes to strangers...she'd sit on their laps, ask them for things...tell them anything and everything.  We keep having to remind her that we don't do those things.  It drives me crazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment