Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Power of Prayer

My kids have been regressing over the summer. It makes some pretty overwhelming moments in our house where all I know to do is pray. I spend a few minutes every morning covering my family in prayer. When the kids start misbehaving, I try not to get angry, and we've been praying together about the behavior. I pray out loud so that they can hear me praying as well when I need help. I want them to get the message that we can take every little thing to God and trust in HIM to take care of us. That He will provide for us and give us His gifts and His graces. And I want them to learn to see how God answers our prayers. We had a little incident this morning. My son is 6, but about a month or so ago, he regressed and we started having accidents again. He had them when my daughter was born, and then when we have overnight guests sometimes that is a trigger as well. You never know when the storm is going to hit. They always just used to happen at night, now they're happening in the day time too. I try not to make a big deal out of them...it's a control thing for him. I went up to get his clothes for him this morning to find wet clothes sitting in his closet. I immediately called him upstairs and asked him to join me in the closet. I asked him if he could tell me about his clothes. He immediately told me that he had an accident, but he didn't want us to know. I didn't get upset, I just prayed over him and then had him bring his clothes down to the laundry room. I want him to understand in the Power of Prayer and I think even if we just say short little prayers and ask for what we need and ask for help with certain behaviors that happen a lot, they will begin to see God working in their lives and in our family.

 Mark 11:24 So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

 Philippians 4:6-7 Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing- I am very familiar with this kind of thing - my son doesn't like to have accidents but he will pea in his room - on the rug - he's also 6 and has defiance disorder- attachment disorder and more. I love what you say about praying out loud- it's the only thing that keeps me sane some days- God bless

    ReplyDelete