Monday, August 20, 2012

Presence

As my son continues to throw temper tantrums and get angry about things, I have discovered the power of just being present.  He is triggered by things every few minutes.  With the help of neurofeedback, he is starting to be able to not fall into a rage over every little thing and he'll let me remind him that he's in charge of his behavior.  If he starts kicking and banging and screaming, that's a sign to me that he needs some extra help in regulating himself and I will go sit with him until he's calm.  Once he's calm, we talk about things and address his feelings and we talk it through.  I forget sometimes just how powerful it is to my kids just in me being there.  They don't always like it, but they don't want me to go far either.  And sometimes they are even able to tell me afterwards that they just like me to be there.  Sometimes while they are throwing their fit, I choose to lift them up to the Lord and to ask for help with their behavior, not only for them, but sometimes for me too.

Lord, just like You are always present for us, help me always to be present for my children too.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment